The Slaves of the Desires
Lesson # 643 From Holy Qur’aan
The Slaves of the Desires
‘Al-Maaa-‘idah (the Table Spread) – Chapter – 5)–Stage - 2
Verses – 70 & 71 of 120, Section – 10 of 16 (Part - 6)
In the name of Allaah, the Beneficent, the Merciful
70. We made it covenant of old with the Children of Israel and We sent unto them Messengers. As often as a Messenger came unto them with that which their souls desired not (they became rebellious); some (of them) they denied and some they slew.
71. They thought no harm would come of it, so they were willfully blind and deaf; and afterward Allaah turned (in mercy) toward them. Now (even after that) are many of them willfully blind and deaf. And Allaah is Seer of what they do.
70. Laqad ‘akhaz-Naa Miisaaqa Baniii-‘Israaa-‘iila wa ‘arsalNaaa ‘ilayhim Rusulaa. Kullamaa jaaa-‘ahum Rasuulum- bimaa laa tah-waaa ‘anfusuhum, fariiqan- kaz-zabuu wa fariiqany-yaq-tuluun.
71. wa hasibuuu ‘allaa takuuna fit-natun fa-‘amuu wa sam-muu summa taabAllaahu ‘alayhim summa ‘amuu wa sammuu kasiirum-minhum. WAllaahu Basiirum-bimaa ya’-maluun.
The mankind was guided towards the path of goodness and improvement in the previous verse and was told clearly that you cannot gain your end by caste, religious title or active claims. These all affairs are useless. It is the decision of Islam that there is only one path for that person, who wants to get rid of fear and grief.
Allaah Almighty has given a clue openly about that fundamental weakness, which carries anyone toward a sin, and practices of the Children of Israel have been described as its example, that the Messengers (peace be upon Them) of Allaah Almighty came to them and brought His Commands. They (the Jews) were prevented from unreasonable desires through these Commands, but they had formed their habit to do that, what they wished, whether after that they suffer.
Experience of the mankind declares the same that when anyone falls upon evil days, he/she begins to fulfill personal desires like insane. So if you observe any person or nation has been engaged in grazing like cattle, rending like ravenous and fulfilling lust like animals, imagine now! Any vigorous and big misfortune is going to be fallen upon their heads.
The Children of Israel did never listen to the Messengers (peace be upon Them). Many of Them were evaded and falsified, but those Messengers (peace be upon Them), who continued carrying their Message to the Jews, They were slaughtered, for instance; Prophets Zachariah and Yahiya (John) etc. (peace be upon Them). They did all of these acts because they had been entangled in devilish desires. These are the cursed wishes, which prevent the human being from doing good deeds.
It was told earlier that there are three necessary matters for the deliverance of human being:
1. Believe in Allaah Almighty. If one will believe in Him, it is sure that he/she shall recognise His Messenger (grace, glory, blessings and peace be upon Him).
2. Believe in the Day of the Resurrection.
3. Do well.
The person, who will act upon these three deeds, will be able to obtain deliverance.
Allaah Almighty made it covenant of old with the Children of Israel. But they forgot this covenant by degrees and disobeyed Allaah Almighty. An open sign of which is that they adjudged about His Messengers that they (peace be upon Them) were liars and many of Them were slain by them. Condition of their belief and good works has been known from it. If they were believers then they would not have disobeyed Allaah Almighty, and if they were well-doers then they would not have slain the Messengers (peace be upon Them) of Allaah Almighty.
It has been described in this verse that instead of believing in the Day of Resurrection and confuting the punishment against bad deeds, they, on the contrary, fixed in their hearts this thought, “Do whatever you wish, you will be OK”. Therefore, they left listening to the well doers and became willfully blind and deaf. Allaah Almighty imposed upon them worldly punishment, Bukht Nasar attacked, ruined their country and imprisoning them brought Babel City. When they got away from this misfortune painfully, they repented. Allaah Almighty accepted their supplication but after a few days, their new generation adopted the same behavior and involved in evils with the cession of mind. And then again they were willfully blind and deaf. It is true that the desires of a mankind make him willfully blind and deaf. But you should not consider that you will never be seized due to evil deeds. You can be willfully blind but Allaah Almighty is observing your all motions. Where will you go being saved from His Sight?